This decision is based on what cells you need to lyse and from what species the cells are from. Typically any type of complement should lyse cells, however we have made different formulations to enhance performance and reduce non-specific toxicity in certain assays. Listed below (and in our catalogue) are some general guidelines:
- Standard Rabbit Complement is mainly used for HLA-ABC tissue typing or cytotoxicity assays using human T cells.
Low-Tox complement formulations are processed to reduce the toxicity of the complement. They are used for cells that may be sensitive to non-specific lysis.
- Low-Tox-H is mainly for HLA-DR tissue typing (human B cells).
- Low-Tox-M is for cytotoxicity assays using mouse lymphocytes.
- Low-Tox-R is for cytotoxicity assays using rat lymphocytes.
- Baby Rabbit Complement and Baby Rabbit Complement-Tissue Culture Grade are used for cytotoxicity assays which requires the C to have low toxicity while maintaining a relatively high activity (higher than the Low-Tox formats, but lower that the standard rabbit C). Furthermore, the Baby Rabbit Complement-Tissue Culture Grade can be used for assays requiring the C to be sterile, virus and mycoplasma-free, and low in endotoxin.
- Rabbit Complement MA is screened for use in cytotoxicity assays using monoclonal antibodies against human lymphocytes.
- Standard Guinea Pig Complementis mainly used for hemolytic plaque assays and complement fixation assays. The Hemo-Lo format is used for sheep RBC hemolytic assays, and the Low-Tox GPC is mainly for cytotoxicity and plaque assays.
NEW: Buy 3 Quantikine ELISA Kits and get 1 FREE Antibody*
R&D Systems is committed to delivering high quality reagents for all aspects of cell biology research, and has operated under this objective since its formation. R&D is dedicated to providing the highest quality in the manufacture, sale and support of its products.